Parents/Guardians are notified of closings, delays, etc. using the following communication channels.
Closings/delays/cancellations apply to all of the following schools/locations:
- Waupun Area School District - Jr/Sr High, Meadow View Primary, Rock River Intermediate, and SAGES (Fox Lake)
- Amity School
- Central Wisconsin Christian School
- 4K sites at Alto Reformed Church, Meadow View Primary, Waupun Preschool, Wee Care
- St. John's Lutheran School
Our goal is to notify all after 6:00 a.m. on the same day or before 9:00 p.m. on the evening before:
- Automated text messages and phone calls will be made to the phone number(s) on file for your household within our system.
- District Facebook @WaupunAreaSchoolDistrict
- District website Waupun Area School District
- WASD App
- All of the local radio and television stations:
- WBEV AM 1430 & WXRO FM 95.3 Beaver Dam
- KFIZ AM 1450 / FM 107.1 Fond du Lac
- WFDL AM 1170 / FM 97.7 & 103.3 Fond du Lac
- WTCX FM 96.1 Fond du Lac
- WOSH AM 1490 & WVBO – FM 103.9 Oshkosh
- WPKR FM 99.5 Oshkosh
- Great 98 Mayville
- WRPN AM 1600 / FM 98.3 & 102.3 Ripon
- CBS 58 Milwaukee
- Fox 6 Milwaukee
- Today's TMJ4 Milwaukee (includes Newsradio AM 620 & FM 94.5)
- WFRV Channel 5 Green Bay
- WGBA/NBC 26 Green Bay
- WISC Channel 3 Madison
- WISN Channel 12 Milwaukee
- WKOW Channel 27 Madison
- WLUK Channel 11 Green Bay
- WMTV NBC Channel 15 Madison
The safety of our students and staff is our top priority and we follow a set of guidelines to determine if school will be open or closed.
We realize, at times, our decisions may not fit with your individual circumstances. Therefore, we encourage and support you in making the decision that is best for your child(ren). You are always the best judge of your child’s health and safety.
We try to keep schools open.
When schools close, many families have issues with child care and their own employment. As a result, we try to keep schools open if it’s safe to do so. However, as we stated in the preceding paragraph, parents can always make the decision to keep their child(ren) at home during challenging weather.
How do we decide whether or not to close due to snow, ice and/or extreme cold?
The District monitors weather conditions in advance as much as possible, as well as the night before and early in the morning. We consult with a meteorologist, other nearby school districts, our busing service, townships, city and county authorities. We generally make the decision in the morning so that we have the most accurate and timely information.
How can you find out if schools are closed?
On days when the weather is bad, announcements of school closings will be made as soon after 6:00 a.m. as possible. A message will be communicated via the methods listed above.
When schools are closed, are other activities canceled as well?
When Waupun Area Schools are closed for the day, it also means that all activities scheduled in school buildings for that day are canceled, including all Recreation Department programs, after-school programs, and athletics.
Why aren’t schools dismissed early on days when the weather is bad?
Generally, once the school day has started, Waupun Area Schools try not to dismiss early to avoid complications with transportation and family child-care arrangements. However, if your schedule allows and if you feel your child will be safer at home, you can pick your child up before the end of the school day.
We appreciate you understanding the challenges in making this decision, and your support in helping your child get to school safely on inclement weather days. Please know that the safety of all of our students and staff is our first priority when making all weather-related decisions.