On Wednesday, March 20th, the School for Agricultural & Environmental Studies (SAGES) hosted Ag Day 2019. During the course of this annual, one-day educational event, nearly 130 kindergarten to sixth grade learners from SAGES gained a “behind-the-scenes” look at how Agriculture is “Food for Life.” Hands-on exploration transpired at various learning stations at school, and SAGES’ K-6 learners ventured off-campus to tour two different agriculture/food businesses.
Presentations at school included:
- Food Science Experiments with Tom Zinnen – UW-Madison Biotechnology Center - BioTrek Program
- Visit from “Our School” Cow – Nellie (Owned by Travis Paul, D&T Dairy) & Presentations on Dairy Herd Health from Dr. Jackie McIntyre/Dr. Emma Schaffel – Waupun Veterinary Service, as well as Ron Daane, Daane Dairy / SAGES Governance Board
- Seasons on a Strawberry Farm – Danielle Clark, Mayberry Farms
- Greenhouse Planting Basics – Led by Cassidy Van Buren & Makenna Kunz - Waupun Area High School Horticulture Students / FFA Members
- Food Packaging/Containers – Rachel Horsch & Amanda Fairbanks - Silgan Containers
- Wisconsin Author Presentation - Lisl Detlefsen (*sponsored in part by Fond du Lac County Farm Bureau)
- Featuring 2 books: Right This Very Minute: a table-to-farm book about agriculture and farming (Named 2019 American Farm Bureau Foundation for Agriculture Book of the Year!) and Time for Cranberries | Learn more at: www.lislhdbooks.com
- "Lunch with the Author" - Provided by Wisconsin Women for Agriculture (WWA)
Off-Campus Agri-business Tours:
- Kindergarten - 3rd Grade: “Ag Day” TOUR: Jung Seed Company – Randolph, WI
- 12:00 pm & 1:00 pm = Tour Guides: Nathan Zondag & Dick Zondag
- 4th/5th/6th Grade: “Ag Day” TOUR: Leroy Meats – Fox Lake, WI
- 1:30 – 2:30 pm = Tour Guides: Randy Hurst & Steve Christian
SAGES' Learners and Teachers, alike, often refer to Ag Day as their "best day ever!" It is full of real-world learning and wouldn't be possible without the donation of time & talent from our local business partners. THANK YOU!